Saturday, February 9, 2013

This is my blog. There are many like it, but this one is mine...

Welcome to my new blog, in which I chart progress with my sundry projects while aggregating the work and ideas of others who seek to create gaming experiences in George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" milieu.

I welcome ideas, perspectives and comments from other experienced gamers and hobbyists with similar interests.

The best way to start out is to pay my respects to the hobbyists whose work and ideas inspired me to go down this path.

First and foremost is Franktactica at the "Figuren und Geschichten" blog in Germany.  His conversions, paint, terrain, photography are all amazingly top notch and inspirational - no matter what the period.  Hochachtung, Frank!!!!!!!!!

Amazing work! See more at his blog linked above.
Next in line is this fellow at "A Homage to Westeros" who had the same idea to use TFL's Dux Britanniarum rules to create a gaming campaign in Westeros.  He's taken his conversions in a new direction that I'm not so keen on but I love his creativity and his kindred spirit.

His original vision

My third muse on this quixotic journey is Michael at "Dalauppror" who has translated Dux Britanniarum to 15th c. Sweden in his "Dux Suecia" variant.  Again, wonderfully painted models, beautiful gaming table and terrain, nice photography photo shopping out reality - and all in his non-native language.  And he's prolific. Much to admire at his blog.  


There are other influences, in other periods and scales that I'll add soon.  In the meantime, one more image from Tomasz Jedruszek, my favorite artist for GRRM's works:

See, Greyjoy need not look like copy/paste Vikings!




14 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blogger sir! I look forward to seeing your progress on your Westeros projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jay,

      Thanks for all your help in getting this thing off the ground!!!

      Delete
  2. Greate to see that you got your own blog:)

    Good that you added "and maybe some othher stuff" as most "focus" blogs I encountered on the webb dont manage to keep focus, but that I suppouse are as all wargamers...we are as the butterfly, moving from one shiney flower to the next quite fast... ;)

    Thanks for promoting my blog, much appreciated:)

    By the way, the "A Homage to Westeros" does seems to link to the wrong site, not to http://bannermen.blogspot.com/ that I think it should.

    Keep up the blooging:)

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, thanks for your support and that call out on the wrong link! Fixed.

      Yes, focus is a particular challenge of mine so expect some War of the Ring, Muskets and Tomahawks et al. to creep in here.

      Look forward to more Dux Suecia from you!

      Delete
  3. Welcome into the blogosphere!
    Using Dux Britanniarum, hey? I love those rules and i'm using them for 15th century Wars of the Roses at the moment. I did once start a Westeros project but it lost steam after ten men, maybe in the future?
    Looking forward to see what you have to show :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max, I know your work. You're on the list of my inspirations for tomorrow. (Gotta spread the content out!)

      Love what you've done converting Dux Brit to the 15th c. Some very thoughtful work there! Thank you for sharing it.

      Delete
  4. A welcome from me too! I'm looking forwards to seeing how this project progresses and wish you the best for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, you're another of my inspirations - your thoughts and comments are most welcome here. From your comments on your blog, we have much in common not least flitting from project to project. (Hence the name of this blog.)

      Delete
  5. Welcome from me too. Looking forward to the stuff you will present.
    Regards
    Bruno

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Bruno,

      Vielen Dank und herzlich wilkommen! Ich freue mich auf Kontakte mit Hobbyisten in Deutschland wo ich zweimal gewohnt habe - aber jetzt schon lange her.

      Pretty sweet blog you have there!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to following your progress in Westeros. Like your choice of Claymore Castings to start your Stark forces off. I'm in the process of painting some of their Scottish infantry at the moment, they are a joy to paint and with their beards are certainly my idea of what Stark's northerners would look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Moonshadow. They have just the right look for northerners. I just wish mine would arrive so I can start working on them.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing this progress I have a couple of stalled ASoIaF projects myself so maybe this will be the kick up the bum I need to push on with them. Now get blogging!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. J,

      My modest hope is that we can lend each other motivation and support to get our projects to the table top.

      What's the best next step you could take with either of your projects - i.e. something easy or something that has some juice for you?

      Welcome and best regards,

      Delete